Wednesday, August 23, 2006

tent-related trivia and homework

In the first step toward making my untreated nylon dome tent a reality, today I learned that that little screw on the side of the removable bobbin case in my sewing machine is for adjusting the bottom thread tension. People who know anything about sewing machines know how to adjust the top thread tension, but if you adjust the bottom, too, you can sew two layers of ripstop nylon together and it'll actually look good instead of just sort of working.

I also learned that the longest diameter of a hexagon is twice the length of a side, but the short diameter is √3 times the side length. I suppose I didn't learn that for the first time today, but my math skills are rusty. I'm pleased that they come back ok, and now you all have an example for your kids of someone using math for something other than homework.

Speaking of homework, there was a homework scene that took place at a Circle K in a classic movie, and now Circle K is offering additives like vitamin C and ginkgo for soft drinks. So, um, strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

And have another monsoony picture. A photographer friend of mine took it, but with my cheesy camera, and I have no idea how to crop it, but check out those layers of mountains sticking out of the rainstorm:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home