Friday, May 11, 2007

real-time laundry experiments

Today I totally nailed the doing-laundry-with-ammonia thing. The trick is to load up the washer, start the water, then quickly pour some ammonia in the bleach dispenser thingy, screw the lid on the bottle quick, slam the washer shut, and get the heck out of Dodge. I was pretty pleased with this solution this morning when I tried it while washing my sheets, but I would be happier with it if I didn't still react to them. The ammonia left them feeling sort of papery, a fabric condition to which I react. I think little cotton fibers break off when the fabric is like that, and I react to all kinds of other things, so why not little fabric particles?

So this condition requires fabric softener, which to the chemically-injured usually means vinegar. I'm about to go sniff the result to find out where I get to sleep tonight: the torture-device rope cot with the quilt I always seem to tolerate or the soft, comfy kapok futon covered in normal bedding, that is, sheets. Everybody cross your fingers....

Ok, vinegar made the sheets better, but not great, so like every night this week, I will lie down on the bed for 23 seconds, develop heart palpitations to some degree or other, and then go crash on the cot where it's safe.

So I may react to baking soda and vinegar; I could react to baking soda residue and not vinegar; I could react to papery-feeling fabric and baking soda residue; I could react to anything washed in the same garage as the car, even with the door opened enough to allow critters in; or I could - eh, you get the idea. I'll play Sherlock Holmes tomorrow. Right now, I'm going to bed.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is that soft comfy kapok futon for you without sheets?
Maybe there's something in that that doesn't work for you?
Can you wear clothes washed with whatever without getting heart palpitations etc?
My loveseat gives me chest pains and palpitations, even when covered with something safe.

12:57 PM  
Blogger missmolly said...

I made the futon myself, but haven't specifically sniffed it in a while. I do know that I react to the sheets independently - I sniff each one and whatever I'm using for a bed pad separately.

My clothes just made me dizzy, or now if I sniff the ones with the residue directly I get heart palpitations. The residue seems to come out of smaller items faster.

Which makes me think I should wash my sheets with clothes instead of other sheets so they can move around more in the washer and dryer.

I'm glad you asked - I'm not sure I would have thought that through otherwise.

Good luck with the loveseat! I hear dismantling the whole thing and rebuilding it could work, but that sofas are a bit of a holy grail. :)

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm giving the loveseat to my daughter and looking for some kind of a safe metal or wood lawn chaise instead...
I've been in laundry purgatory for over a year now, and 80% of my things cannot be detoxed even after dozens and dozens of washings (I don't have a dryer, which probably makes it all take longer) I think it has something to do with coconut based stuff in the "natural" laundry liquids but am not sure.
So, I keep asking questions and then forgetting where I was with them... we need a few chemists working on magic laundry neutralizing powders!
oh what fun we have
: )

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Online Generic Store said...

Thank you for providing such valuable information and thanks for sharing this Business Promotion technique.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home