Sunday, May 20, 2007

warning: sick lady attempting to think

Today I learned that if we don't cover up the cork underlay overnight when we're in the process of putting down more wood flooring, I can't sleep anywhere in the house. This situation was aggravated by my increasing sensitivity to my sheets, which seems to be getting worse.

Since I'm having trouble with the sheets and seem to be unable to hold onto a train of thought, I'm going to worry about laundry on virtual paper, where it's harder to forget what you're thinking about, and see if I learn anything.
  1. I was using baking soda on my clothing and vinegar on my bedding when I got into trouble.
  2. Washing my favorite quilt with just water and then running it through the dryer on air fluff for 3 hours made it tolerable.
  3. I switched to washing soda for my clothing, and I tried it in my regular sheets, but not my flannel sheets, and after air fluffing both sets, I tolerated the regular ones for one whole night. I believe I bragged about it, but I failed to mention they were bad the next night.
  4. I don't tolerate my regular bed pad or my terry cloth substitute bed pad, and I know I tried the terry cloth in ammonia, since washing soda didn't seem to help.
  5. Everything I own feels kind of extra-dry, and the terry cloth almost sand-papery, as opposed to fabric-softened.
  6. My favorite quilt wasn't quite as tolerable after the last time I washed it, but the quilt I keep on the couch isn't as bad. I don't wash it as often, but it's totally in line to become my favorite quilt for a while. That'll probably last until I have to wash it.
  7. I just washed 5 yards of new canvas eight times: once in ammonia, twice with just water, a soak in lots of vinegar, then water, 1/2 teaspoon of washing soda twice, and then just water. It smells somewhat like canvas still, but I react to it just like I do my non-flannel sheets.
  8. The flannel sheets got air fluffed for 3 hours again a few days ago. I didn't tolerate them then, so I put them down on a metal chair in the living room and forgot about them. They're actually pretty good now, which is an indicator that if I hung everything up outside, I'd be in better shape, except for that thing where it'd all have acacia pollen and sawdust all over it from the floor construction.
  9. I collected every type of potential laundry powder from next to the washing machine and sniffed them all. The baking soda smelled horrible, so we scooped out the garage-odor soaked stuff. The stuff underneath smelled better, but I react to it a little. The washing soda was fine. The borax and the Trader Joe's were both not too bad, but I wouldn't use them. The Seventh Generation was awful.
  10. I heard from friends that ammonia leaves no residue, so if you're totally desperate, it'll work if you're careful with it.
Moving on to the conclusions I think I can draw here:
  1. There's something wrong in the washing machine. It's either the 'soap' I'm using, a residue, or car pollutants because airing stuff out makes it better, as opposed to just washing it. I've been running the washing machine when the the garage door is part-way open to let out the car stench, but I can't rule out it polluting the washer overnight. But, this all started before the car went into the garage.
  2. I've been mixing some clothes I thought were mostly decontaminated into the regular laundry now that they don't smell too awful. I should fish all of them out.
  3. Since we've been fussing with the wood flooring in the garage, we haven't parked the car in there for two days. If my laundry problems suddenly disappear today, I'll know what the problem was.
  4. There was one termite hole in the crack in the garage floor near the washer, so there was some termite poison injected into the floor near the washer. I'm not that concerned about it since the laundry was all wonky before that.
Well, there - that was about the least linear thought process I've seen anywhere, but at least I got to the conclusion part without ending up worrying about the laundry problems of a guy in Los Angeles I've never met or the scorpion I shook off a piece of cork yesterday in the back yard.

So here's the plan: I'm going to use plain hot water on everything except that stuff I said I'd fish out for a week and see what happens. I'm going to wing it with air fluff. I could also hand-wash some things and see how that goes, and then maybe I can concoct a way to test vinegar residue.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looked thru my files for other things to try, but once we find ourselves in this situation, it is a long haul out...
Notes: TSP has been often replaced with a TSP substitute which is NOT safe for us... and baking soda can be different depending on the suppliers!!! Good luck finding manufacturers and distributors who will be helpful disclosing this. Also, vinegar can be a plant source or a petro source. I can kind of tolerate the plant ones but not the other ones at all. I'd email you instead, but my instant email system doesn't work and I don't know how to set it up right.
Below is a protocol used to detox stuff - I don't remember where from, but I've seen many variations of basically the same thing.
linda

IMPORTANT: Try this on only one or two things until you are sure
you tolerate the items used. Also, depending on the level of
contamination you are dealing with, you may want to do this in a bucket
rather than risk contaminating your washing machine. If using a bucket,
laying some aluminum foil over the top of the bucket and crimping it
tightly round the edges will seal in the chemicals as they are
offgassing. Alternatively, keep the bucket in an area away from your
living space so you aren’t being exposed to the contaminated item.

NOTE: This works best on 100% cotton or natural fabrics. It helps with
polyester or polyester/cotton blends, but doesn't work entirely,
unfortunately.

NOTE: 2 to 4 tablespoons each of Borax and Simply Clean brand
Oxygen Bleach Powder can be substituted for AFM Super Clean soap.

TSP: works very well at removing oils. I use the TSP first as it removes
so much "stuff". If I were trying to remove old laundry products, I'd do
the TSP wash twice and then follow with the rest of the steps.

Milk: The milk in the below recipe works to remove formaldehyde
according to Dr. Ziem. The recipe calls for skim milk and I’ve never had
it stain clothing. I’ve heard of some people using regular whole milk
who say that the fat/oil in the milk also helps remove the chemicals but
I’ve not tried whole milk personally.

TSP Portion of Recipe:

Add 1/2 to 1 cup of TSP to hot water (depending on how large the load
is). Let it dissolve in the washing machine first and then add
the clothing/bedding to the water and let it run through the
normal wash (including rinse cycle).

Rest of Recipe:

1) Dissolve 1 cup powdered milk in washing machine water with
clothing/bedding. Agitate one minute, turn machine off and
soak 2 to 4 hours ONLY (milk may sour if left longer). Rinse
and spin.
2) Refill washer with 1/2 to 1 cup of AFM Super Clean soap or the
Borax and Simply Clean Oxygen Bleach Powder.
3) Agitate one minute, turn machine off and soak overnight.
Rinse and spin.
4) Wash laundry with 1 cup baking soda and 1 cup vinegar
through entire cycle.
5) If residue from step 2 is a problem, go through step 3
again.

It’s important to use lots of water and to have it as hot as your fabric
will tolerate for each step. It’s also important to let the machine run
through the full rinse cycle. The rinse cycle can be cold water.

I have sometimes had to do the full recipe, including the TSP portion,
again to remove everything.

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may sound crazy what with outgassing and all, but can you get your hands on a washboard? The kind that people used a long long time ago for washing and is now mostly used as a musical instrument? As I understand it, they clean by agitation. I don't know if that would decontaminate your stuff, but it might get stuff kinda clean without using any chemicals. And it might get more gunk out than normal handwashing (at least, the way I do handwashing).

Also, how dry is the air in your house, and how much space do you have? Could you set up a laundry drying rack or clothesline in your living room, or another room that you tolerate (so that the non-tolerated air doesn't contaminate your laundry)? That way you could hang stuff up to dry without getting pollen on it.

8:30 AM  
Blogger missmolly said...

Thanks you guys! It sounds like that recipe would get anything out, and I didn't know about using TSP in laundry or that AFM had a soap. This is really good information.

And now that I have a floor in an empty room, I can set up my bunk bed frame, turn on the ceiling fan, and hang my stuff in a safe wind. Although I might have to stick an air cleaner in there to catch what shakes out.

:)

8:34 AM  
Anonymous online pharmacy said...

Much thanks to you for giving such significant data, and a debt of gratitude is for sharing this Business Promotion system.

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home