Sunday, January 07, 2007

a bunch of stuff you don't want to think about, plus squirrels

Today I finished learning that ovulation, if done in a less than ideal fashion, can really hurt for more than two days. The good news is that my husband says I no longer smell weird, so I'm definitely on the mend. And no, he's not the only man I know who can tell when a woman has some kind of female thing going on by how she smells.

In the spirit of wasting time until I felt better, I spent all morning watching tv. I learned that the Discovery Channel built a really entertaining-looking squirrel obstacle course for Craftiest Animals: Squirrels that only took the squirrels two weeks to figure out. Also, I got the quote of the day from a show about Basset Hounds:
Bassets are always underfoot when food is overhead.
Unlike every other dog we've ever met.

So back to news on topics people aren't necessarily comfortable talking about: toilets and condoms.
  • We have white rats in the sewers in midtown, and every few years one swims up the pipe to somebody's toilet and freaks them out. Residents blame the U of A, but the U of A blames people with pet rats or snakes.
  • I missed this locked-up condom article when it came out, but Chuck at News of the Weird didn't, so I learned that birth control was illegal in some parts of the country until 1965, when the Supreme Court said it was ok for married people. Everybody else didn't get access until 1972.
I had no idea about that last one, probably because parents don't discuss current events with their toddlers. And pretty much everything I know about the Vietnam War and Watergate I learned reading Doonesbury books. I kid you not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home