Wednesday, January 03, 2007

vinegar and towels, cocoa powder, PDFs, and drug accounting

Today I learned that vinegar really is the world's greatest fabric softener. It made my cheap towels all fluffy, but still not nearly as fluffy as the ones my mother-in-law got us for Christmas. Also they don't smell at all mildewy, which, since I'm sensitive to mold and am occasionally a sloppy housekeeper, is pretty impressive.

In food news, I learned that I totally can't handle caffeine. Not only did I recently learn the trick with a green tea bag whereby you make two cups of tea in succession, but you toss the first one because most of the caffeine comes out there, I also learned not to eat anything with cocoa powder in it that hasn't been baked for at least 25 minutes. I don't know what baking does to the caffeine or theobromine or whatever content of cocoa powder, but I do know that microwaved pudding makes me all zingy. There is a reason you're hearing about this in what I consider the middle of the night.

In other news, you can fill out PDF forms that don't let ordinary people fill them out online, online, but you have to take screenshots of them and dump them into your paint-type program. Then you can write all over them, show what you wrote to your husband, and re-write the whole works after he points out that what you wrote was not quite what they were looking for. This procedure is so much faster than printing forms out and attempting to write things on them in pen, particularly if you can't apply Liquid Paper to errors without a ten-foot pole, which, realistically, would probably be as accurate as putting the forms out in the back yard and hoping birds poop on the right parts.

And last but not least, I feel compelled to make fun of news-article math, so here's the quote of the day from an article about a drug bust:
The 81 pounds of cocaine has an estimated street value of $515,484, using figures from the Arizona High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area, the federal anti-drug analysis and intelligence center.
That comes to almost exactly $14.03 per gram, and I'm sure drug dealers count every last penny, just like the people who don't round off estimates in news articles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home