Saturday, December 04, 2010

do-it-yourself underwear

Today I learned to make bras because I contaminated my nice bras, which took months to decontaminate in the first place, and my remaining crappy bras suck beyond all possible belief. The first one I made took the afternoon, but the second one took a whole hour. An hour.

Here's the way it works:
  • I was working with stretch fabric, so I had to cut up a cotton stretch bra to get the parts shaped right. Stretchy stuff is forgiving, so approximate worked fine, and I say that because I started with a bra that was the wrong size. (I've been known to shop quickly and forget to return things, but see? It still came in handy.)
  • In terms of materials, the internets indicate that you need to buy 'strap elastic,' which is stronger than regular elastic. The fabric store didn't have any, so I used the nicest feeling stuff from the rolls at the store. For one bra, I used about 2 yds of 3/8" and less than 1 yd of 3/4" elastic at $.66/yd. The fabric yardage was minimal, like I think I had a half yard, and I could probably make five or six bras out of it. I used nylon with lycra in it that I bought to make bike shorts, which didn't happen.
  • I didn't cover the elastic or anything, so no self-respecting store would sell what I made, but they still turned out cute. These are probably the first cute bras I've ever owned.
So bra manufacturers take note: reduce prices and use decontaminable fabrics if you ever want to see this customer again.

Two more things:
  1. Why the heck is it that when I make something cute -- and I mean adorable -- it has to be underwear, so I can't show it off?
  2. Bras are way easier than tents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home