Thursday, November 18, 2010

this totally sounds like an ad for something, but there's more

Today I learned that a friend of mine who has CFIDs is walking around like it never happened. Granted, she's the only person I ever heard of whose CFIDs would go into remission sometimes, but as she's gotten older (she's in her early 70s), she got totally knocked out. She didn't move around much or make any sense for a couple of years, but today she looked great, and she attributes it to thymic protein A. Plus some boswellia, which is apparently frankincense.

From what I found online, thymic protein A regulates the immune system -- up or down, depending on what you need. I am not really clear on that, and I don't really know what it really does for people who aren't sick, who appear to be snarfing the stuff in the hopes that they'll live forever. I'm not even sure it's supposed to make CFIDs patients wander around looking terrific; that could just be my friend. But the thing is that it's not that expensive as supplements go, and it's supposedly a highly-purified protein, so it probably wouldn't be that hard to tolerate.

This is probably as close as I'll ever get to trying a miracle pill -- writing about it -- but now it's written down so maybe sometime I'll ask the local naturopath about it.

In other news, if the PM2.5 reading gets above about 20 µg/m3, I get major heart palpitations. It spiked last night at a monitoring station across town from me about 2 hours before I woke up from a nightmare about being in a flood in the 1940s, except the flood turned into annoying people. I had to put the pressurizer on recirculate until mid-morning, and then the problem recurred around 6 pm, which is about when that monitoring station got above 20 µg/m3 again. It's below that now, and I'm fine, and hopefully I'll get to sleep through the night without any any people (particulates) coming in under a door (through the pressurizer).

And this story about moving part-way across the country with a couple of dogs is hilarious.

UPDATE: My doctor said that thymic protein A is good for shoring up immune systems. There is evidence that chronic fatigue is caused by a virus, so then an immune boost would be a good thing, and maybe that's what's going on for my friend. If your problem is a straight chemical injury, a more powerful immune system will just make you react to more stuff, so that wouldn't be any fun. There was a time when I was reacting to so much stuff that my immune system got overwhelmed, and maybe that protein thing would have helped back then, but now I don't think I need to react harder to anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home