Sunday, November 16, 2008

antennas and complete squares

Today I learned that you can make a directional antenna for your Wifi using things like appropriately-sized soup cans in about 10 minutes if you have the right tools, which, as nerds, we do. We lack cans, but 3 inch ducts aren't hard to come by.

In brain-revival news, after taking a major perfume hit in a store earlier, it only took me half an hour to rederive how to complete the square, i.e., convert y = ao + a1x + a2x2 to a y= (x + b)2 + c type of format. Half an hour is a horrible time for deriving something like that, but I suppose I spent 15 or 20 minutes of that time wiping my nose since the wind kicked up a whole lot of pollen outside.

I suppose given the wind and the perfume hit, I should be pleased I can remember how to tie my shoes, so for proper entertainment, I recommend Time's 50 worst cars list, which contains the following quote:
It took the drivers at Road and Track 32 seconds to reach 60 mph, which would put the Dauphine at a severe disadvantage in any drag race involving farm equipment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home