Saturday, November 15, 2008

more and better ways to get sick

Today I learned that wind farms make some people who live near them sick. The theory is that low frequency sound pressure and flickering light from the rotation of the turbines are causing the problem. Since a signal processing/acoustic engineer buddy told me about low frequency sound being investigated as a weapon, and since I know a bunch of people with chemical injuries who can't stand being in the same room with fluorescent lights because they flicker, I'm inclined to believe living near a wind farm would be stupid for some portion of the population, and, just as with chemical exposures, it's not always clear who will get into trouble. Although, if the low-frequency sound thing is a decent weapon, and I think it worked by interfering with the frequency of your heartbeat or something (don't quote me), probably nobody with a heart should live too close to a wind farm.

In other news, I didn't learn a whole lot else because it was really windy today, and we both felt crummy and thus were too stupid to tape up the door facing the wind until the worst of it was over. So, note to the Broken Physicist household: if it's windy enough that you feel too crummy to tape up the friggin' door, tape it up anyway, you morons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home