Monday, November 10, 2008

dead wood and live wood

Today I learned that our inherited dining room chairs look like a lovely oak underneath the layers and layers of varnish or shellac or whatever they used to finish them. Just as my great-grandfather painted the kitchen cupboards every year, these chairs got another layer of whatever every so often, and that would be why it takes our fairly safe, no-scrape paint stripper an hour or two to work unless you do a bunch of scraping first.

Yesterday I learned that if you trim four or five big branches off a mesquite tree, but you dismember them into 5-foot lengths, they compact into a volume quite a bit smaller than you'd expect.

I'm exhausted, and so is the Mars lander.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm amazed you've found a paint stripper that works and you can tolerate. I had the challenge of removing 17 layers of paint on the bathroom cabinets but the nontoxic strippers just would not do the job. I finally just painted over it with a low VOC paint.

3:00 AM  
Blogger missmolly said...

We got a soy-based stripper, and it still says on the label that some chemical or other will kill you. I'm using gloves and using it outside, which is pretty straightforward with chairs, but would probably be hard with cabinets.

Two different people made me swear to wear my mask the whole time I was doing anything to the chairs, but I'm doing a great job of staying upwind and covering everything in plastic wrap. If I make myself sick, I will have only myself to blame.

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the stuff I was using was orange based. It was useless.

I did a toxic job outside once a long time ago with a huge stupid two-cylinder mask on and it made my nose hurt so badly that I decided I'd rather get sick. Sometimes I'm just willing to get sick so I can get some job or other done.

4:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home