Monday, February 05, 2007

criminals and exhaust fumes

Today I learned that people who go to jail are expected to go right out and resume criminal activity upon release. From an article about deporting illegal immigrants who did something illegal besides immigrating, and don't get me started on what I'd be doing if I were Mexican and my food prices skyrocketed because the US decided corn was fuel instead of food, here is the quote:
"The benefit is these people who are committing crimes aren't being released onto our streets to commit more crimes. They are being removed from the United States," said Jim Hayes, director of the Los Angeles field office for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting what he said, but I thought the party line was that jail straightens people out. I guess we're done with that, so now I'm not clear on why we aren't drugging the heck out of them to change their aberrant behavior.

In other news, I learned that exhaust fumes affect presumed healthy people, making them more likely to have a heart attack within an hour of a bicycle or bus commute. I find this information really interesting because exhaust fumes give me three reactions: a numb feeling in my forehead, gut cramps, and heart palpitations, which could lead to a heart attack. What really got me was that I thought non-EIs didn't react to exhaust fumes, but instead it appears that they can't feel it, so I feel lucky that I can detect these kinds of things. Don't you all want to be chemically sensitive, too, and feel crappy and potentially have to leave town when the gem show traffic shows up?

Also, WKRP is coming out on DVD in April, and the maker of that turkey-and-gravy flavored soda you hear about every Thanksgiving is switching all its soda sweetener from high fructose corn syrup to sugar, which is probably a good move if corn prices continue to rise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home