Monday, July 24, 2006

Cuba, a paperback, and fabric

Today I learned that you can go to med school in Cuba for free, but the food is pretty much beans and rice all the time, which would kill me in about a week, not unlike leftover flourless chocolate cake.

In other news, I found out that I can read an entire well-aged paperback book in a day as long as I do it where there's a slight breeze, and I finally found a useful fabric store around here.

You'd think in a large metropolitan area you'd be able to find fabric stores, but it turns out you can find craft stores. You have to drive to find any useful fabric, so we ended up in a jam-packed discount place called Fabrics R Us in San Jose. Inside, we found a comically cranky scowling saleslady. She was fast, but she was determined not to cut less than a yard of anything, even though one of her colleagues and another customer assured us that a half a yard was fine. Maybe it was the peer pressure, but she relented when I assured her that if I couldn't get half a yard of this one thing, I didn't need any.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home