Wednesday, February 29, 2012

high scores and losing control

So since I haven't updated this in months, no one is going to read this, but I learned something today. I'm taking an accounting class so I can practice controlling my fight-or-flight reflex in a room full of college students, which boils down to inhaling laundry chemicals and who knows what else for an hour and fifteen minutes twice a week while learning obscure facts (obscure to physicists, anyway). Accounting, according to the prof, is hard. According to the college students, accounting is hard. According to someone with a graduate degree in a hard science, accounting is pretty straightforward, but it's harder if you are trying to recover from a neurotoxin-induced brain injury.

The long and short of it is that we had our first test, I got 100%, and I was really pleased, but I couldn't calm down and pay attention in class after we got the tests back. So fight-or-flight is not only about being freaked out -- it can also be about simply being wound up.

Next time I ace a test, I will think calm thoughts about how grateful I am to have a functioning brain.

Next up: jury duty. We'll see what happens.

2 Comments:

Blogger cinderkeys said...

Congratulations on the high score. I'm glad to hear things are still going well.

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go you with the test!

-Shoshe

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home