Monday, December 03, 2007

sport

Today I learned that to some men, the description of 'sporty' as applied to women and women's apparel brings to mind either a Monty Python sketch or something unsexy, as in:
Thanks to Mel C, the word 'sporty' has lost any sexy, athletic connotations and is now understood by men to mean 'the one with a face like a bag of spanners but who can sing a bit'.
Then I had to find out what Sporty Spice, aka Mel C, actually looked like -- a bit of trivia that escaped me ten years ago because I was busy learning obscure facts about liquid helium. Anyway, she's the tall brunette with straight hair, who in a popular picture from their new tour promotions, appears to be the most normal of the bunch. In the least normal, Posh's outfit is reminiscent of the black-marker clothing my mother used to draw on unclothed soap opera actresses who graced the cover of TV Guide when I was a kid, but Mom probably would have drawn something with straps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home