Thursday, July 05, 2007

warning: really depressing

Today I learned that yet another friend of mine is going to have to move out of his safe housing. An acquaintance is already homeless and living out of her car in 110 degree heat, and if you think healthy people don't do well in hot weather, you haven't seen an EI. The three men I know will not make it in their cars; two of them don't even have functional cars. They won't make it in section 8 apartments, either, smushed up next to a bunch of people who, like 90% of the population, can spew whatever they like into communal air and not get sick, and that doesn't include the possibility of getting pesticided by the management.

So what can I, personally, do about this? Not much. I can't take any of them in because we don't tolerate their stuff, and they probably don't tolerate ours. I could probably sniff-test places for one of them, but I'd have to find something sniff-worthy and affordable.

I'm pretty sure I was born to be an engineer, but come January, when I was theoretically going to start looking for a job, I think I'm going to try to save the world, starting with the Tucson EIs.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for speaking of this. it is a huge issue that goes largely unreported and drives many to a quiet lonely suicide.
one could almost think that "they" don't want us to get well, which we would in decent housing, because then we could educate others about the hazards of everyday shopping.

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home