Wednesday, April 04, 2007

theoretical mathematics and Critical Mass

Today I heard from a friend that there's a theoretical mathematician from England who is making some progress at understanding sensitivities to electromagnetic fields. He apparently understands that thing where people are sensitive to some frequencies but not others, just like my mountain biking buddy described. He also bamboozles rooms full of MD-type doctors, so it would be cool if some sick physicist could just turn up one of his papers on the web and figure it out, but I suppose that would make things too easy. As a side-note, I'm feeling well enough to be a little annoyed that I don't have access to any journal I want on the web. I mean, if I put a little work into it, I'm sure I could disguise myself as a U of A type and sneak into a library there to find one or another of his papers, but it's somewhat optimistic for me to expect to be able to function in a library full of slightly-moldy paper and petroleum-based ink.

In non-academic news, it sounds like last Friday's Critical Mass ride in San Francisco erupted in violence because some lady from Redwood City driving a minivan clipped a rider. Whatever happened, a bunch of riders turned on the minivan, causing $5300 in damage and freaking out the kids in the van. News reporters appear to be as baffled by the whole thing as the minivan driver, but I've seen riders seriously threatened by clueless cars, and there's nothing like it for scaring the living daylights out of a cyclist. Given a fight-or-flight reaction and most cyclists' tendency to chase things, be they hills, other cyclists, or cars, that they turned on the minivan does not surprise me in the least. I am, however, somewhat surprised by the quantity of the damage they caused.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you find the mathematician's email address? Maybe you can get him to email you a copy of the paper. That's really not the same as having access to everything though :(

10:42 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Speaking as someone who has lived through many of the "Critical Mass" bike rides in SF (years ago)... The even you describe does not surprise me at all. Many (not all) of the bikers there are of the sort that want to follow none of the traffic laws, but enjoy the same rights as cars. Can't have it both ways. The CM rides are always very charged with emotion. Bikers are irritated at the lack of respect they are given, and the auto drivers are frustrated because they can't get home after a long day of work because a bunch of folks on bikes won't get out of the way.

And if you are interested... Yes I have a bike... Yes I ride. No, I would NEVER ride in SF city or the city of Vegas. Too dangerous. I miss living where there were "real" bike trails.

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home