Sunday, March 25, 2007

in search of the ultimate mattress

[A little background to start with: the futon I made over a year ago is starting to pack down, and it's really comfortable if you put mattress springs under it. The trick is finding some I tolerate.]

Today I learned that if you buy a mattress on Craigslist for $20, even when you peel off all the Febrezed layers of polyester and foam and God knows what, the springs can smell just like Febreze. A while ago I learned that it's very difficult to get oils off of springs, so we'll see how it goes with Febreze chemicals.

Say, does anyone know of something I could spray on my stuff to get the smells out?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Methanol is a good solvent. Can you tolerate methanol (or isopropanol, etc.)?

3:05 AM  
Blogger missmolly said...

Oh, that would work great, but given that I remember how it smells, I bet I couldn't go near it.

What I wanted at the car wash (next post) was a giant ultrasonic bath. I can't remember what liquid we used in there, though - was it methanol?

Now that you mention alcohols, some of my friends swear by vodka as a cleaner. Maybe it's time to get me some vodka! ;)

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We cleaned stuff with toluene, then acetone, then methanol, then blowing the metho dry with nitrogen. And we had to use something nastier to remove the gold/chrome. I can't remember what we had in the ultrasonic cleaner -- it might even have been water.

You could use vodka, or you could go straight for the everclear (which is something like 95% alcohol instead of vocka's 40%) ;)

4:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home