Wednesday, December 06, 2006

hydrogen peroxide and mold

Today I learned that some people think that in some situations you can kill mold with a 20% or 30% solution of hydrogen peroxide, but the EPA is pretty squishy about it. I also learned that you can get a gallon of 40% hydrogen peroxide solution for about $5 at Sally Beauty Supply. I mean, so you'd know where to get it in case you were to find very small amounts of mold behind the baseboards on either side of your sliding glass door, which you promptly removed (the mold, not the door), so you don't really need any kind of mold killer, except you would just feel better if you were to be armed with something. And so you know, Mold Across America is confident that you should use borates on mold, but I suppose they haven't sensitized themselves to those yet.

Ok, so we may have removed a total of an entire square inch of mold from three little places, and it didn't feel like stachybotrys to us, but we were pretty careful about not inhaling it. Actually, I'd be pretty surprised if it were stachy because it felt to me like the kind my in-laws have, which they haven't had identified, but based on our relatively minor reactions, couldn't possibly be stachy.

So anyway, it's gone, and now we have all this 40% hydrogen peroxide solution lying around, so I guess I'll be bleaching my whites.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home