Monday, November 20, 2006

flu shots and science museum exhibits

Today I got to reading the Chicago Tribune health blog comments again and was directed to this review article (pdf), where I learned that flu shots aren't good for much, at least in pregnant women, and that thimerosal, the mercury-laden preservative, is used in most flu shots in concentrations that the EPA says aren't safe for pregnant women, fetuses, or little kids.

It's information like that that makes it easy for me to justify my I'll-stay-home-a-lot-and-probably-not-get-sick approach to flu shots. This, too, which says flu shots don't work on kids or the elderly.

In other news, an exhibit consisting of 200 human corpses or parts thereof is coming to Phoenix on Jan. 26. Apparently all the bodies donated themselves to an institute started by a guy who learned how to preserve bodies using plastic instead of formaldehyde. If it were free to get in, I weren't sick, and I were ten years old, I'd be bugging my mother to take me. As it is, I think I'll stay home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home