Tuesday, November 14, 2006

it says I'm from where?

In my American accent quiz results below, which are supposed to tell me where I came from, the black lines were originally long rectangles partially filled with a red line, but they didn't copy correctly. The first one, under The Midland, is supposed to be 2/3 filled. The next five were 1/2 filled, and the last two were 1/3 filled.

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

The West
The Inland North
Boston
The Northeast
Philadelphia
The South
North Central
What American accent do you have?
Take More Quizzes

I will admit that I absorbed the Illinois accent when I was there to the extent that I couldn't hear it until my mother pointed it out, but I thought I'd gotten it out of my system. So there are several possible explanations for these results:
  1. I'm permanently warped from living in Illinois,
  2. My parents, who were military brats (different services), raised me with a screwy where-the-heck-are-you-from accent, and it stuck,
  3. I may have absorbed parts of my husband's accent, which I could not fake to save my life, even the part where he says 'New Orlee-ans,' or
  4. I filled this thing out wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home