Saturday, March 25, 2006

something I'm glad I don't have

Today I got to wondering how bubonic plague ended up in squirrels in the Sierras, my problem being that Europeans first came to the Americas about 150 years after the plague took out a third of Europe.

It turns out that the plague took out a third of Eurasia, and then it kind of hung around for a while, but that's still not how it got over here. It was the Third Pandemic, which started in China in 1855 and killed something like 12 million people in India and China alone, that spread it all around the world.

Now I can hear you saying 'Third Pandemic?' so here you go:
The first recorded bubonic plague pandemic was in 541-2 and was called the Plague of Justinian, and the one they told us about in school twenty years ago as though it were the only one and only hit Europe was the second one.

And last but not least, I learned how to make a text rat: ~(__)Oo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home