Sunday, April 25, 2010

siege day 34

Today I learned that even though blogs are very last decade, if you're not going to go all full-on facebook, you should probably say something now and then, or your friends might wonder what's going on with you.

So what's going on is that the designation 'siege' is not really applicable because we had to abandon the fort on Wednesday. It makes it hard to work and shop for your friends when you're gone, but I couldn't do those things from inside my house anyway, and here I can go in stores and make it to family birthday parties.

Here I can make myself sore walking on level sidewalks for 25 minutes, but two days later, I'm in enough better shape that I got to walk for an hour and a half in the hills where there are lots of wildflowers. This thing where you can go outside for as long as you want is almost indescribable.

I expected that indescribable feeling to arrive almost immediately upon leaving town, but I didn't. It didn't until we stopped in Phoenix to buy another air cleaner, and I got to pay for it. I paid for dinner, too, even though it's the same money no matter which of us pays for things. Apparently being able to buy stuff is the definition of freedom.

*****************************************

We still don't know what's causing the air quality problem in Tucson, but now that I'm feeling better, I can resume making phone calls and maybe cook up one o' them FOIA requests to the base. Or maybe the Air National Guard, which works out of the regular airport. After driving immediately downwind of a little airport in Phoenix during the exodus, I'm thinking my biggest problem is airplane exhaust, so I'll have to call the regular airport, too.

That one lady who is so sure the problem is coming from the base says it feels like spraying or something that goes on during specific hours of the evening, and when it ends around 11 pm, she can go back into town and be fine until the next evening. No one else can get close enough to even pretend to pinpoint the source, so we'll have to just keep calling people until somebody figures something out.

2 Comments:

Blogger cinderkeys said...

Why does your friend think it's the base? Has she noticed strange activity from them, or does the badness just get worse the closer she gets to it?

4:23 PM  
Blogger missmolly said...

It's just how it smells and how she feels near the base, plus things some people who work on the base (in some unspecified capacity -- could be food for all we know) have said to her.

Yesterday I sicced her on the Chevron refinery just to the west of the base, so we'll see if that gets us anywhere. (Chevron didn't return my call, and I didn't expect them to. I would expect them to respond to PDEQ, but I haven't called them yet.)

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home