Thursday, June 05, 2008

old car feats and spelling choices

Today I learned that we can drive our 24-year-old BMW 340 mostly highway miles and not even get the empty tank light to come on. We got 26 mpg, which is not bad for a car old enough to have finished college and gotten its own apartment, assuming it wouldn't have chosen to live in an expensive area and have had to move back in with its parents.

In related news, organ pipe cacti, or cactuses according to the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument handout, have solid skeleton parts instead of ribs, like saguaros, or wacky-looking swiss-cheese skeletons like chollas. There will likely be a picture tomorrow.

In unrelated news, despite the fact that 'what' is generally pronounced 'wut,' it bugs me that most people spell 'wacky' with an h so it would reasonably be pronounced as though whacking were involved. Although, according to somebody with a webpage on an academic server, 'whacky' was the original spelling, so maybe it did originally have something to do with whacking. So that's a little whacky, but I guess I'm over it now.

In ever-popular laundry news, I got away with wearing mostly decontaminated, all-new clothing today, and I felt much better. Yesterday really, really sucked. And that taste in my mouth that I had attributed to something outdoors was just me trying to detox the laundry contaminant when I got away from it, i.e., went outdoors. So it's heart palpitations in the presence of the laundry contaminant in large quantities, and that funny taste in low quantities.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re laundry:

Have you ever tried Cheer-Free or Arm & Hammer FREE laundry powders? I have chemical sensitivities pretty bad, but those two products work very well for me.

Also, for me, drying laundry outside on the line is better than in the dryer for decontamination.

Both things wacky but true.

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home