Tuesday, June 03, 2008

more laundry

Yesterday I went into Target to buy myself a new basic wardrobe that's only contaminated with chemicals I know how to wash out. I learned that I can handle the fitting rooms for a little while now, which is a huge improvement over a couple of years ago, when I learned that I was much better off just buying drawstring pants, which will fit anybody.

Today I learned that I can't quite decontaminate new stuff in a day, but I almost have sheets and a bunch of clothes. If I can get the quilt I'm going to use as a bed pad sorted out tomorrow, I get to sleep in the bed again.

In extremely related news, every day it seems I am better able to detect my laundry contaminant, but I'm reacting less. So besides getting more sensitive, I've either been making things better slowly, or I'm crashing my immune system. I know which one I'm hoping for.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I run in, grab a bunch of stuff that looks like it might fit, buy it all, take it home, open all the windows, try everything on, seal up the rejects in a garbage bag and stick it back in the trunk to be returned (within 30 days, blew that more than once actually), and throw all the good stuff in the washer with a cup of vinegar and unscented clothes soap. I repeat wash two or three times. Only the stuff saturated with flame retardant (usually nighties) is sometimes impossible to get totally chemical free. Once I left a nightie my dad gave me outside on the clothes line for five months before it was decontaminated.

1:26 AM  
Blogger missmolly said...

Shoot, I didn't think about the nightshirt I got. It's in the dryer right now with the other clothing, probably making my life harder than it needs to be.

This is going slowly because all I'm using is baking soda and vinegar. I lost count of how many times I've sent everything through.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home