Wednesday, June 11, 2008

large appliance mechanic

Today I learned that having a washing machine drain into your kitchen sink makes it very clear exactly how much water goes through your washing machine. I mean, I've seen washing machines drain into big, deep, garage-type sinks, but it looks a lot different in the kitchen. Also, you end up with a very tidy sink.

In related news:
  • It appears that I have gotten the contaminant from the smoke out of the stuff I've washed, but now I'm battling All detergent residue.
  • It's hard to get detergent residue out if your preferred method is several hours of 'air fluff,' but one dryer is still contaminated and the other is in multiple pieces all over the patio.
  • I'm in the process of learning if wind gusts purported to reach 30 mph this evening will do much.
And, considering that the pressurizer is still contaminated and there's air pollution outside, I think I've learned that this is a crummy experiment because there are too many variables. I suppose I'll have to see what happens.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand 100% what you are going through. I had to try several fragrance-free clothes soaps before giving a thumbs up to Cheer Free and Arm & Hammer FREE, powdered only (liquids toxic to me). I think the clothes soap industry knows what we are reacting to and are trying to get the toxic crap out of those products, and it appears they are refining the process all the time. (This means that there is enough of us sensitives in the marketplace to warrant the R&D-- another topic but I can't help myself going there.) I have very good luck with line drying vs dryer, and I wish you the best of luck in your continuing clothes washing saga.

7:46 PM  
Blogger missmolly said...

Thanks, Susie.

It turns out the All wasn't helping that much. I know I react to Arm & Hammer FREE, so I'm not sure if I'll invest in Cheer.

Do you know what it was with your dryer that was causing the problem? (I clearly sucked some kind of smoke component through mine!) I am line drying things now, and despite my initial fears about pollen and pollution, my new clothes are turning out really well. The contaminated stuff isn't improving noticeably with sunshine, however, so I'll keep washing the stuff I want to keep. Having two washers is pretty cool, even if one is reserved for uncontaminated stuff only (so it doesn't get much use yet).

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not that my dryer was/is contaminated, it's that for new clothes, drying outside seems to work much better at getting rid of the chemicals. My theory is that the dryer holds the polluted air too long (maybe made worse by the heat?)and everything then contaminates everything else, but outside the chemical residue just disipates into the air. It's more an air thing than a sun thing. I've had much better luck with stubborn things just leaving them out on the line for days (weeks, months..) rather than wasting time and money on washing 100 times.

Keep trying different ways to do things, eventually you will find the right combo. It's all about adapting to the disability.

Today I learned that Arm & Hammer unscented kitty litter is not unscented.

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home