Thursday, May 08, 2008

recap

Today I didn't go outside into the palo verde pollen, I didn't get in the sauna, and it's been four days since my last foray into a restaurant, so I started remembering things I learned last week.

In no particular order:
  1. There are amino acids in dirt, and some critter at the Desert Museum eats dirt. There's some clay with some food value in the South that people make cookies out of, but the rest of the US thinks that's revolting.
  2. Early May is a great time to be a tourist in Tucson because the weather is pretty decent, but the winter crowds are gone.
  3. I didn't expect much of the Tubac Presidio, but it has a pretty neat museum that we didn't finish going through and a trail I didn't even get to see. Also, the ruins that the teacher at the one-room schoolhouse kept forbidding the kids to play around had interesting potsherds and such, plus a layer of things like little toy cars.
  4. The bighorn sheep at the Desert Museum stare back at the tourists like they're afraid we might catch them not looking. If you choose to look away so they might relax, though, you always miss one of them moving to a new location on the practically vertical rock wall in their pen.
  5. If you ask me to find six screws you spilled on the patio, I will find you six screws. Then I will gloat when you report that you actually only lost five, because that sixth one I found, which wasn't the right size, got converted into pure gloating material.
In semi-related news, here's a picture of a javalina butt, from which we learn that eating prickly pear while standing in a cholla is not a big deal if you're a javalina:


This is where the rest of the javalina were, all crashed in the shade of a bridge:


And this is a car in the local grocery store parking lot with post-it notes all over it:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home