Monday, May 19, 2008

cranky nerd alert

Yesterday I learned that despite my love of horribly cheesy movies, I couldn't sit though The Core, where the earth's magnetic field gets unstable, and bad things happen, so people decide to stabilize it using a nuclear bomb. Maybe it had something to do with the recent shampoo problem in combination with the smoke on Friday morning, all topped with a nasty hormone reaction, but instead of being hilarious, the following lines made me turn off the tv:

scientist: The core of the earth has stopped spinning.
military guy: How could this have happened?

To tell the truth, they would have been funnier if I hadn't recently concluded that I probably won't be able to get a real job for at least another year, and there's nothing like a frustrated nerd to get all cranky about things like missing angular momentum.

In today's news, there are some researchers here in town who think the sunspot cycle might fade away for a while, which, last time that happened, caused the Little Ice Age. Their paper got rejected by Science for being only based on statistics, which I take to mean it was a little too speculative. I was going to say that it wasn't clear to me why it got newspaper space, but here I am reporting that the Little Ice Age had something to do with sunspots, so I guess I'll shut up.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is definitely a correlation between the sunspot cycle and the Little Ice Age, and there is research that supports the idea that the lack of solar activity actually caused Earth's cooling at that time.

Also, The Core is so bad that the one time I started watching it (on an airplane), I actually turned it off after about half an hour.

7:50 AM  
Blogger missmolly said...

Then it wasn't just me who couldn't sit through it! I feel better about my sense of humor.

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home