Saturday, December 29, 2007

green awards and washing machines

Today I learned that Duraflame and Ecological Paint won awards in The Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Awards Program of 2005 (pdf). In related news, there was a Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Awards Program in 2005. I suppose they must have them every year, but I have clearly failed to ever hear about it.

Ecological Paint I've tried - that's the stuff I can actually use myself without getting sick - but Duraflame logs have a reputation in the EI community as something that's supposed to be green, but will kill you. I don't know if they'll still kill you now that they're using plant waxes instead of petroleum-based wax to hold the sawdust together, and I have no way of finding out. All I have is heart palpitations stronger that regular wood smoke causes, a very faint odor of smoke, and a bunch of questions. It could just be something with the weather.

In washing machine news, we learned that we've been inside our washing machine so many times that when the drive block fails, we can tell at a glance because it doesn't look right, and that's a good thing because my favorite diagnostic site didn't say anything about a worn-out drive block. So $12.57 later, the laundry czar is back in business. She also knows that you can get front-loader technology in a top-loader now, which uses a lot less water and electricity, and that you can get one with a glass lid instead of a metal one, which is not only breakable, but costs an additional $200.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home