Thursday, December 27, 2007

Weatherman

Today I learned by watching The Weather Underground that the FBI kept files on radicals and even killed some of them in the late 60s and early 70s on purpose. Then later in the day I was listening to NPR, and I learned that when that townhouse in NY blew up, the people in it had made a pipe bomb, and since they had previously stuck to firebombs, they weren't sure how much damage it would do, so they added nails to it. After it blew up, it occurred to the rest of the group that killing people maybe wasn't such a hot idea, but bombs were still a good symbolic gesture in the war against the establishment. So thinking things through ahead of time was not this group's strong point, as much as I understand how they thought the world was going to end.

I find it weird that:
  • I happened to learn so much about Weatherman all in one day, and
  • I never knew we had homegrown terrorists.
For that last one I blame... um, well, they never teach current events to toddlers, so never mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home