Sunday, October 07, 2007

more things that'll kill you

Today I learned that I've been living in Southern Arizona long enough that 88 oF sounds like a very reasonable outdoor temperature, and not one that would send 302 marathon runners to the hospital and kill one. I've completely forgotten what humid air feels like, so I looked up the relative humidity. According to wunderground's data, the humidity when they called the race was 51%, so the heat index was only 91 oF. And if you need to make fun of my temperature adaptation, you should know that my house got down to 74 oF overnight, and I got cold.

In other news, 130 farm workers near Reno got poisoned with pesticide because an inversion layer held the fumes in. I suppose that means that inversion layers, not a WWI-era asphyxiator that makes a great pesticide, will kill you.

In more chemical news, you're supposed to dispose of expired sunscreen and liquid cosmetics by pouring them on kitty litter, waiting until it gets absorbed, and then throwing it away. Old medication should be mixed with coffee grounds so that no one will eat it. I'm going to stick to my current strategy of not owning any of these things. It'll save you time and money!

I also learned how to spell asphyxiator.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I think you are missing out with the whole kitty litter thing. Pouring stuff on kitty litter can be fun. Make a race out of what gets absorbed quicker. Of course... Most kitty litter has chemicals in it so maybe I should rethink that idea...

Side note: Should you have groundhog problems in your yard, nothing drives them away quicker than dumping used kitty litter down their holes.

(Sorry for the long comment)

--C

8:24 AM  
Blogger missmolly said...

My only experience with kitty litter was dumping it on oil spills in the lab. That was never entertaining because then you had to clean it up.

Now, I think we must not have been doing it right. ;)

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home