Tuesday, September 18, 2007

food, cancer, and epidemics

Today I learned that some fast-growing cancers can be stalled or even shrunk by putting their hosts on a souped-up version of the Atkins diet. Those cancer cells are apparently good at getting energy from sugars, but they suck at getting it from fats.

In other health news, I found an article that discusses all the contradictory information that comes out of epidemiological studies. One day, alcohol will kill you, and the next, alcohol is good for you, but oh, wait, maybe it's something in these here grapes they made that wine out of, etc. Mostly what I learned is that I don't really care why epidemiologists report seemingly random information. I just like repeating it.

So, um, early puberty gives women breast cancer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home