Wednesday, March 07, 2007

a flesh-eating cow, ETAs, new reaction, and weirdo custard

Today I learned that there's a cow in India that's eaten more than 48 live chickens. Also, there are various ultrasonic devices (electronic travel aids) that use beeps, pitches, and buzzes to tell blind people about how big and where things are around them.

In news around the house, I went for a very short bike ride today because it turns out that whatever pollen we have right now makes my lungs hurt. Ok, doctors have told me that's impossible, but a lot of them think environmental injuries are impossible, so what do they know, anyway? Um, anyway, I also realized that I've developed a terminal case of irresponsibility with this pollen, so I should probably attempt to cut myself some slack instead of beating myself up over it. I should still pick up the mail more often than once a week, though.

The other thing I learned around the house was how to make custard with no milk or milk substitute. You take a half a cup of ostrich egg, two soup-spoonfuls of honey, a dribble of vanilla, and maybe a tablespoon of oil, and you cook it in a saucepan while stirring continuously. When it looks like stirred custard, you're done, and I can definitely see the merits to occasional trips up north to spend $15 on another big egg.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home