Saturday, December 16, 2006

good news, spin, and weird food

Today I learned that the European Parliament voted for a law that will, when phased in over eleven years, seriously restrict chemical use in industry. US companies whose products will be affected are whining like crazy, but they admit they'd better just get their acts together. So, buy European! I guess, except for that thing where everything gets sprayed with pesticide when it enters this country. I think I just became an advocate of smuggling.

In other news, Netflix sent me Thank You For Smoking, and I learned that the actress who played the ex-wife character has the part of Rambo's wife in Rambo IV, so Rambo got married! But a while back, PiquedOff asked to know what I thought, so here is my no-spoiler review:

I now have a much better grasp of how spin works and how lobbyists can say what they say. I would also love to be able to do that, but I will have to settle for appreciating it better since I could never do it with a straight face. The movie presented it with all the gravity to which many lobbyists' statements are due, which is to say that I found it hilarious.

In food news, I made another mudpie and was shocked when it turned out well. So, in case I ever need to make it again, here's another weirdo recipe:

1 cup ground flax seeds
3/4 cup tapioca flour
maybe a cup of water, but definitely more than 2/3 cup
two lumps of fructose roughly the size of a heaping tablespoon (I guess)

Stir those things together, taste it, declare it a disaster, bake it anyway (about 30 min in my smallest glass bowl @ 350 F), and have something that vaguely resembles oatmeal cake, but only if your memory of oatmeal cake is pretty fuzzy.

Note: This recipe should make fine biscuits with no fructose and 2/3 cup water, but you'd have to let the tapioca flour absorb the water before you try to shape the biscuits.

1 Comments:

Blogger PiquedOff said...

Glad you liked the movie!

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home