Sunday, October 01, 2006

mesquite trees and milk

Today I learned that pliers are a great tool if you have to pull up a whole bunch of spiny, inch-tall (2.5 cm) mesquite seedlings.

In other news, I think we all learned in school about Louis Pasteur, who figured out how to pasteurize milk so milk didn't kill kids in cities at the turn of the last century. Nowadays, what with regulations requiring inspections of dairies and better refrigeration, it sounds like it'd be safe enough to let some people get ahold of the raw stuff, which they would really, really like. The FDA is pretty sure it'll kill everybody, but the people who are drinking it don't appear to be all that dead. There aren't a zillion of them, but they aren't dropping in droves or we would have heard about it.

So in that article, a lady said she couldn't digest milk properly until she got some of the raw kind, and then she was fine. Now, I haven't been able to digest milk protein correctly for about 25 years, so I generally don't consider it a food, but I got two spoonfuls of ice cream a year ago so I could get a milk antigen, and it was yummy. And now I'm thinking it's only about a four hour drive round-trip to get to the.... That's a freaking long drive to spend $8 on a gallon of milk. Just if I tolerated it, I would have grounds to be really, really annoyed that I missed out on 25 years of ice cream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home