Friday, May 19, 2006

chainring mistakes and Urgent Care

Today I learned that I was intimidated by (and avoiding) Fantasy Island's main loop because I'm sensitive to the landfill, not because I'm out of shape. Now I know not to go over there unless there's a fairly good southeast wind.

good news: I rode the main loop without mishap despite having a major case of sewing machine leg during the part with the enormous washes (read: roller coasters) near the landfill.

bad news: When I got home, I got my front wheel out of the trunk and proceeded to put it back on my bike, which is a symptom of residual reaction because I only do that at trailheads. Then the phone rang, and I rushed putting the bike down in a way that works on the sides of trails but not on hard surfaces, and on its side, the bike shifted on the end of one pedal. I failed to get out of its way, and I got a hole in my shin the size of a chainring tooth.

really bad news: I could probably have cleaned and dressed my new puncture wound myself, but I couldn't have given myself the tetanus shot I knew I needed.

unexpectedly good news: The Urgent Care place near here isn't that bad. My mask and puncture wound let me bypass the laundry-fume train wreck in the waiting room, the nurse who knew nothing about chemical sensitivities was really nice and let us wait outside in the staff parking lot, and the doctor knew the drill because his dad has MCS, so it went great.

So that's a bummer about the trail near the landfill, but I survived a trip to Urgent Care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home