Tuesday, May 16, 2006

lactic acid and snakes

This report on lactic acid and snakes has been pre-empted by breaking Wal-Mart news:
It says here that Wal-Mart wants to offer organic food and organic versions of things like Frosted Mini Wheats and packaged macaroni and cheese. So, wow, and notice how I didn't lump Frosted Mini Wheats or macaroni and cheese that came in a box in the same category as 'food.' We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Today I learned that lactic acid, the substance that we were all told built up in your muscles when you exercised and made you tired, is actually fuel for mitochondria, and the better shape you're in, the better you are at burning it. What makes you tired is now a total mystery. A professor at Cal (that's UC Berkeley) figured that out in the '70s, but you can imagine the reception his work got since we're only hearing about it now.

Onward to snakes. If you will recall, a while back I said my plan for snakes on the trail was to weave past them and then stop to admire them. This plan failed to take into account what happens when you come barreling around a corner and see a snake stretched all the way across the trail just before you run over it.

I am not the first person to run over a snake, and I will not be the last, but I'd kind of thought my days of being responsible for wildlife maimings/deaths ended when my namesake got old and stopped catching squirrels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home