Sunday, February 26, 2006

lots of corners

Today I learned about the air quality at the ASU Research Park in Phoenix. So you know, it sucks.

I was going to ride in my first criterium race today, but between the car exhaust and the cut-grass smell, I was in no condition to play in the street. While I am totally annoyed that I didn't get to play with the other kids, I seem to be inordinately pleased that I got to watch the other kids.

Here are my observations:
1. If there are three guys in a breakaway, they give each other advice and cut each other some slack so no one gets too tired to keep the breakaway going.
2. In the lap after the race ends, if it's a women's race, all the riders pair up and chat. If the men chat, it's with a teammate or someone they want to yell at.
3. If some lady rides her comfort bike across the corner of the course in front of the men's 50+ pack, she gets impressively chewed out, but with surprisingly few swear words. (I don't think she's ever going to be the same.)
4. When college students arrange a race, they forget important details like bathrooms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home