Saturday, December 03, 2005

why tv might not be funny

Tv and movies have some very exciting and unintentionally hilarious physics errors. One of my favorites is in Speed, where they jumped a bus over a break in a freeway ramp. Without all the work the stunt guys put into that, the bus would have made a nice parabolic arc and hit the ground, smack. It makes me laugh every time I see it. And don't get me started on Jack Bauer testing a suicide cord by shorting it last season on 24.

So here's a little background on a different topic brought up by tv recently: I got sick from stachybotrys mold, and we 'moldies' call it stachy ('stacky') because we're so familiar with it that it needs a nickname.

The reason this is important is that I finally watched the season finale of Fox's Prison Break, and they knew enough to know that stachy is bad, but they pronounced it all wrong. I recognize I have good reason to know about mold, and I'm not dumb, but for heaven's sake, couldn't they have looked it up in the dictionary?

What I learned here is that physics mistakes are funny, but mold just isn't.

Also on Prison Break, they had a weird discussion of AC vs. DC for electric chairs that I can't remember, which means that it didn't make any sense, so that's not funny either. I don't know about that show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home