Sunday, March 09, 2008

glory days

Today I learned that you shouldn't walk a retired racing greyhound off-leash too close to an in-progress professional soccer match with cheering crowds if the stadium gates are open and your dog enjoyed her racing career.

In other news, the tune that has been running through my head all day and I know was left over from elementary school is called Land of the Silver Birch, and having read the words, it was probably part of one of those racial-guilt, social-consciousness thingies that were so popular in the 1970s (in California, anyway). Mostly what I remember from those was this one time, they took what seemed like the whole school over to the community center, put us in groups, and herded us places without much explanation, making the kindergartners cry. I suppose that was an admirable lesson about Native Americans being herded off to reservations, but I was a nerd and didn't get it until later, so you know those crying kindergartners didn't get anything out of it except a fear of going to the community center.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home