Saturday, October 27, 2007

history, hiking, and silliness

Today I saw a documentary called Gay Sex in the '70s and learned that the stereotype of gays being really, really promiscuous is rooted in things that went on at least in the New York gay community. Actually, according to what I saw, I don't think really, really promiscuous comes awfully close to describing the actual scale of the promiscuity.

I really thought the rumored promiscuity was just a stereotype, which just goes to show what happens when you fail to teach recent history in school. I really don't know anything about anything that happened between the about the Korean War and 1985.

In other news, because of the east wind today, we decided to go hiking east of town, so we chose Kartchner Caverns over Madera Canyon. Thus I learned that there was very happy-looking desert broom the whole way along the freeway, so we got in a little pollen trouble at the park, but we at least got up to a saddle with a really nice view. And a breeze, which had just enough pollen in it to do in our ex-houseguest, who was a good sport about it, but I'm going to stop taking him to places that have nice views until the pollen dies down again.

Ok, to be fair, I was going to take everybody on the loop trail, but I think there's something about guys where if you give them a choice between a loop trail with a spur to a good view and a trail that is too long but gets up to 7000 feet, they always pick the one that goes up to 7000 feet.

Anyway, the Guindani trail into Coronado National Forest is really overgrown in the low part, and the tall grass hid a knee-high rock, on which I bonked my kneecap on the way back to the car. So that isn't the kind of penalty points we usually talk about when we goof up on trails in Arizona, but we had fun anyway.

And here you can see the Star Wars episode of Robot Chicken.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home