Wednesday, August 22, 2007

gum, teaching, and an oily computer

Today I learned that chewing gum is an ancient Finnish thing, which gives teenagers chewing with their mouths open a little more credibility, at least until the next time I step in gum. The last time that happened was about three years ago, so I suppose they're off the hook until I can get back out into the world.

Speaking of teenagers and the outside world, I seem to have developed a raging desire to teach high school math. I'd be good at it, except for being blown out of the classroom by body-spray- and hair-product-coated hormone factories. It would probably ruin the fantasy if I actually smelled the working conditions, not to mention the homework papers, so I'm trying not to think about it. This staying home where it's safe thing is starting to drive me nuts.

In other news, you can build a computer that I don't think would blow hot electronics fumes around your house by submerging it in an aquarium filled with mineral oil. And since I'm a physics nerd, I can tell you that the oil will attenuate the electromagnetic fields to some extent, not that most of you care, but it's a thing I remembered, and I'm always happy when I get evidence that my nerd circuits still work. Ok, like wanting to teach math wasn't enough evidence, but whatever.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you considered tutoring? There are some programs where high school (and maybe college) kids interact with tutors purely over the internet. I think it's generally real-time.

10:02 PM  
Blogger missmolly said...

I had considered face-to-face tutoring with appropriately screened students, but I'd better go look seriously into the online stuff.

Thanks!
And belated happy birthday!

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home