Tuesday, June 12, 2007

iodine and elected officials

Today I learned all about iodine. It all depends on who you ask how much you are supposed to get and how much over that constitutes an overdose. Apparently there is iodine in seafood (way to be specific) (ok, the salmon people are specific), but if you get farmed fish, you're on your own. Dairy products have iodine in them because of what they feed cows and the cleaning solutions used on dairy farms, but I have no idea how eggs get iodine in them unless people have started milking chickens.*

The upshot is that if I don't want to worry about using non-iodized salt, I should throw some iodized salt in my diet on the days I'm not sure I'm getting enough from my food, or maybe find some kelp.

In other news, the state legislature passed a law requiring first-time drunk drivers to get interlocks installed in their cars. Now our elected officials are having second thoughts, which leads us to the quote of the day:
Rep. Olivia Cajero Bedford, D-Tucson, said the law discriminates against women because they generally weigh less than men - meaning they can't drink as much before hitting the legal limit.

"With all due respect, you guys have more fat than I do," she said.
To be fair, another representative called her on it, but I think we ought to get an interlock installed on her car right now.


* Not too long into my 28 years and counting of dairy sensitivity, I stopped being surprised when people assumed that eggs were dairy products. People should know better. I mean, horseradish is in the dairy case at the grocery store, but people don't think that comes from cows. Well, that I know of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home