Wednesday, June 13, 2007

bananas, "food," and reasoned arguments

Today I learned that there are people out there who believe refrigerated bananas are toxic. In case anybody who's been to that link still has any doubts, I'll tell you about the woman I know who has so many food sensitivities that she practically survives on bananas. Actually, she's sick enough that I mostly know her husband, who is pretty much permanently in need of more bananas. She can taste it if you touch the banana's outside where the store chemicals are and then touch the part you eat. She can taste it if you mix a banana with a minor bruise into banana bread made with rye flour and peanut butter, so this is major princess-and-the-pea stuff, and she is fine with refrigerated bananas in the banana bread.

In other food news, Kellogg's has passed an internal rule that it won't market unhealthy foods to kids under 12. Tony the tiger food, better known as frosted flakes, qualifies as health food under their guidelines.

In other stupid news, that article I pointed to yesterday about the state legislature trying to repeal the rule about mandatory interlocks for first-time DUI offenders attracted somebody who uses actual logical arguments, and wow, was that different than what usually appears on the comment boards of the local paper. I know I need to get out more (or I wouldn't be reading that stuff in the first place), but that was pretty entertaining. Kind of obnoxious and condescending on occasion, but really entertaining.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm "allergic" to raw bananas. If I eat a bite or so, my throat closes up (my esophagus, not my trachea, so it's annoying for a few hours but not really dangerous). I get the same reaction with most champagnes. I can eat banana bread though, and fried plantains, though I'm not sure if that last one is because they're cooked or because they're plantains instead of normal American bananas.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home