Monday, December 19, 2005

why weird news is funny

I decided to catch up on my weird news (instead of serious news) and came up with an article about someone purposely crashing a car into a Home Depot. Quick summary: A disgruntled ex-employee drove a car at the crack of dawn clear into the paint aisle of a Chandler, AZ Home Depot, where the car caught fire. No one was hurt, and no name was released. Said the Fire Battalion Chief: "The car was gray or silver-gray when it went in the store. It was black when it came out."

Now I'm going to try to analyze this story using Dilbert cartoonist Scott Adam's humor formula, which states that there are six things that make something funny: cute (like puppies), naughty, bizarre, clever, recognizable (familiar), and cruel. The more elements you get, the funnier something is.

You English majors may want to check me on this because, as a reversibly brain-damaged physicist, analysis of this variety is pretty hard, but it looks like five out of six to me:
1. Recognizable: I have, on occasion, been pretty upset with my Home Depot experience.
2. Naughty: driving a car into a store.
3. Cruel: destroying store property.
4. Bizarre: a car in the paint aisle.
5. Clever: "It was black when it came out."

It's less funny after you get done analyzing it, but nerdo here got to apply a formula today, so who cares?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home