Friday, September 09, 2016

the sun's roast settings, depending on latitude and ozone absorption

Today I learned that the UV highs in the summer in Darwin, Australia top out around 14 on the UV Index (Sydney was more like 13). In Phoenix, they top out around 12. The local weather station we used to look at here in Tucson usually read 14 in the summer, but I don't know how accurate it was because the prediction in the newspaper was usually 12. The upshot is that the sun will peel your hide off pretty nicely (and very quickly) at 12 or 14, and various health organizations indicate either will cause instantaneous death.

I had to look that up because all the way back in April, a friend of mine demonstrated proper Australian application of sunscreen, and we attempted a subjective comparison of how burny the sun feels in summer. Now we have data -- lame data in that I don't even know if the UVI is linear, and I'm not going to extract that information from the internet tonight. I don't have any data from when the ozone hole was worse, either, but burny is no fun, anyway, and Australia wins(?) on the burny scale.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home