Wednesday, June 15, 2016

too much starch

Today I learned that the piano arrangement of "The Gambler" I learned in high school is still stuck in my fingers, even though I haven't played it for probably twenty years. I have access to an inferior arrangement, and after about the third try, it sounded wrong, and the old one emerged. I really didn't think I could play things that weren't on the page in front of me on the piano, so this is an entertaining development.

In other news, I like fake yogurt, but it costs a lot, which fixes it so I won't buy it. By compiling a bunch of soy/other yogurt recipes, I settled on 1/4 cup of arrowroot starch in 4 cups of soy milk as my base. It thickened up some when I cooked it; people on the internet had complained that other recipes didn't always thicken.

Skip ahead to about five hours into the culturing stage, when I saw that my container was going to overflow. No one mentioned overflow as an issue, but I went with it and scooped a bunch into another container and let it go.

When it was time to put it in the refrigerator, I saw that the volume increase came from tiny bubbles trapped in the yogurt. Why were there bubbles in there? Because I made a perfectly acceptable tasting soy yogurt, but with too much starch. The consistency can accurately be described as "gelatinous gloop." You can stir it, but it won't stick to the spoon. It should be sold as a childrens' toy, except I'm gonna eat it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home