Monday, September 15, 2008

7 Up and smoky stuff

Today I learned that Filipino cooks use lots of 7 Up. Apparently it tenderizes meat.

In honor of the four-month anniversary of our acquisition of the smoke contaminant, I can report that we learned that sanding your poplar bedstead to get the contaminant off of it doesn't work if you forget to do the headboard, but this kind of effort can also reveal a recently-developed minor sensitivity to poplar. The wall at the head of the bed is a problem too, but hopefully one that can be solved with a lot of Bon Ami and elbow grease, as opposed to sanding.

As to the laundry, and I hope this isn't a premature announcement, a combination of 2 cups of baking soda plus about 11 ounces of 40% hydrogen peroxide solution appears to get the laundry contaminant out of laundry, but then you have to rinse out all the baking soda, which requires another three washes.

A few days ago I got to wondering where my time goes, but if sometimes you have to sand your bedstead or scrub the walls or use untold thousands of gallons of water to reclaim your stuff (which is still easier and cheaper than getting new stuff), the days seem to go by pretty quickly.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being particularily brain-fogged is impeding my ability to turn this into something humourous, but I think many of us MCSers can honestly claim "launderess" as our new primary occupation. That and "decontaminator".

11:06 PM  
Blogger missmolly said...

At my house, the title is Laundry Czar. One of my friends, after her husband accidentally dyed some socks pink when she wasn't feeling well, was dubbed the Sock Banshee.

Hope your fog has cleared.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home