Wednesday, March 12, 2014

olive oil and something resembling cheese

Because my friend asked me to, today I learned that O Organics olive oil congeals if you put it in the fridge overnight. Why is this information interesting? It turns out that according to various newsish sources (Fox's Carol Alt and Dr. Oz), olive oil should solidify in the fridge, and if it doesn't, it'll kill you because there are additives in it that increase shelf life and wreck antioxidants or something.

One thing that happens when this information airs is that UC Davis' Olive Center gets a  lot of phone calls, and they, academically and fairly diplomatically (or potentially funded-by-olive-oil-companies-ly), think that congealing depends on the concentration of waxes and long-chain fatty acids, and they are not going to weigh in on any additives or whatnot.

In other food-related news, I made a ricotta-style cheese-ish thing, and it tastes pretty good, but since I haven't ever actually had anything with ricotta cheese in it, I haven't the faintest idea of what to use it for. If search engines didn't exist, I'd be in trouble, but I wouldn't have come across the recipe, either.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Use the cheese for cannolis or lasagna!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home