Sunday, March 22, 2009

hair care and the economy

Today I learned that there are a bunch of people out there who don't use shampoo and report that their hair is better for it. They're using things like baking soda and vinegar, things EIs use to clean lots of things, to clean their scalps, but then they use conditioner. Apparently conditioner doesn't contain 1,4-dioxane, but why other conditioner chemicals are ok is not clear to me. Also, maybe I'm just lucky, but I stopped using conditioner a couple of years ago, and I didn't notice any difference except that I started getting compliments, so maybe I don't spend enough time admiring my hair in the mirror.

The other thing that isn't clear to me is how you would get store chemicals out of your hair without soap. It's one thing to have shampoo residue in there, but it's another to have it smelling like Safeway.

In other news, the economy finally got around to affecting my household directly -- I got laid off from my geology journal copy editing job. I spent a lot of time in the last few months being extremely ill, so while I am disappointed to miss out on getting paid to read interesting things, but I am hugely relieved to have an extra 5 or 10 hours a week free.

Also, adult diapers and fire don't mix.

2 Comments:

Blogger Liberty said...

I don't use conditioner either :)
I've read that many with MCS don't bother.
I have, in a pinch, used baking soda and water in my hair instead of shampoo and was really pleased that it got the store smells out of my hair (and I've got LONG hair so lots of perfume gets stuck in it!).
I was really surprised at how well it worked but I find using shampoo easier so I stick with that most of the time.
Fragrance free of course :)

I'm glad you are happy to have the extra time on your hands :)

9:05 AM  
Blogger missmolly said...

A friend of mine pointed out that another EI can pretty much only wash her hair in vinegar, and that seems to work fine for smells, so baking soda or vinegar or whatever works fine.

I guess I've learned something else. :)

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home