Friday, March 28, 2008

washing dishes in a strong oxidizer

Today I learned that when ammonia fails to make your old mycotoxin-infested dishes safe, you can use 40% hydrogen peroxide to get the mycotoxins out of your newly-contaminated dishwasher. Then you can go out in the back yard and wipe down all the dishes the ammonia in the dishwasher failed to clean.

The reason I thought ammonia would work was that another moldie (i.e., a person injured by mold mycotoxins) consulted a doctor somewhere in the upper Midwest for $100 an hour, and he said ammonia would decontaminate your moldy stuff. For free, I will tell you that we had much better luck with a 40% hydrodrogen peroxide solution. Now, maybe I didn't do a fair test because a dishwasher can't actually rub the dishes with ammonia like I did personally using the hydrogen peroxide, but there was no way I was going to stooge around wiping dishes with something that smells and stings your eyes like ammonia. I'll stick with the little burn marks above my gloves, thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home